Nationwide Trial Division is a national team with approximately 40 offices through six regions across the United States. Our Senior Trial Attorneys are seasoned litigation attorneys with significant civil litigation experience in property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation. As a Senior Trial Attorney, you’ll represent clients under both commercial and personal lines insurance policies independently as lead counsel, as well as be part of a larger team as needed. Caseloads are typically including a mix of cases varying in complexity, severity, product lines, and specialized concentrations, throughout all courts and agencies in the assigned jurisdiction(s). You’ll be expected to maintain a highly productive case volume that reflects our collective commitment to innovative thinking, effective collaboration, embracing technology and a highly organized and proactive approach to case management.
- Demonstrates consistent awareness of changes to the law, technology, local rules and other procedural requirements, or other aspects of the legal and insurance industries likely to impact liability and recovery litigation strategies in the jurisdictions in which he/she practices.
- Independently establishes and maintains strong professional relationships with key associates within Office of the Chief Legal Officer and claims partners at the senior director level and below, as well as with colleagues within the legal and insurance industries within those jurisdictions and communities in which he/she practices.
- Provides factually, legally and analytically sound opinions consistently on case valuations that are promptly updated and timely communicated to the client and claims.
- Communicates in a highly effective manner, consistently and proactively identifying, understanding and meeting client, claims and internal NTD communication expectations (both written and verbal), as well as those commonly expected within the jurisdictions and communities in which he/she practices.
- Utilizes relationships to build and improve NTD’s reputation and expand case referral opportunities within the enterprise.
- Requires minimal managerial oversight and guidance from the Managing Trial Attorney and NTD Leadership in all aspects of core duties and job responsibilities.
- Demonstrates the requisite trial advocacy skills independently as lead counsel, or as part of a team, demonstrates efficiency, proactive case management, work ethic, and work product quality to accurately and effectively handle all matters in accordance with Nationwide Trial Division (NTD) standard methodology guidelines, as well as claims and client expectations.
- Possesses and consistently performs with the subject matter expertise and trial advocacy skills required and specified for all NTD concentrations held. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to develop and learn additional or new NTD concentrations as may be required based on NTD business needs and as specified by NTD Leadership.
- Adept at effectively utilizing technology and collaboratively working with support staff to ensure efficient case management and efficiency.
- Engages in complex legal practices and procedures throughout all court and agencies in the assigned jurisdiction.
- Highly effective and professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly collaborative, capable to work with staff and other attorneys on-site and remotely, as well as serving as a role model and mentor to other associates within the office.
- Significant negotiation skills.
- Ability to process information efficiently and effectively.
- Excellent analytical and legal skills. Resourceful, creative problem solver.
- Computer savvy with a solid understanding of basic software and use of same.
- Capable of adapting to changes in the law and changes to technology in the law and court systems (e.g. electronic filings, etc.) Strong time management and organization skills.
- Decision making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations.
- Ability to initiate, prioritize and coordinate complex projects and cases.
- Leadership skills used in direct and/or indirect influencing such as motivating, problem solving, business strengthening and development with colleagues, clients and claims partners.
- Stays in sync with the private practice of law policy and the ethical rules of the state where the position is located.
- Must also acknowledge and follow all corporate and NTD policies and procedures.
- Typically, more than eight years of relevant civil litigation experience in property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation.
- Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
- Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and Human Resources Business Partner.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Austin, TX
Application Deadline: N/A