Nationwide Trial Division is a national team with approximately 40 offices through six regions across the United States. Our Trial Attorneys are litigation attorneys with moderate civil litigation experience in property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation. As a Trial Attorney, you’ll represent clients under both commercial and personal lines insurance policies as lead counsel, with moderate to low guidance and oversight, and also may handle cases as part of a larger team as needed. Caseloads typically include a mix of cases, varying from low to moderate complexity, severity, product lines and specialized concentrations. throughout all courts and agencies in the assigned jurisdiction(s). You’ll be expected to maintain a highly productive case volume that reflects our collective commitment to innovative thinking, effective collaboration, embracing technology and a highly organized and proactive approach to case management.
- Possesses and consistently performs with the subject matter expertise and trial advocacy skills generally required for property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation trial practice. Possesses the ability and willingness to develop and gain the requisite experience and subject matter expertise to eventually hold one or more specialized NTD concentrations required to serve as lead counsel on more complex and higher severity cases.
- Recognizes and uses opportunities to establish and foster professional relationships within Office of the Chief Legal Officer and claims at the claims manager level and below, as well as with colleagues within the legal and insurance industries within those jurisdictions and communities in which he/she practices.
- Demonstrates consistent awareness of changes to the law, technology, local rules and other procedural requirements, or other aspects of the legal and insurance industries likely to impact liability and recovery litigation strategies in the jurisdictions in which he/she practices.
- Recognizes opportunities to use established relationships to reinforce NTD’s reputation within the enterprise and local communities.
- Requires low to moderate managerial oversight and guidance from the Managing Trial Attorney and NTD Leadership in all aspects of core duties and job responsibilities.
- Communicates professionally and effectively in all formats and situations (e.g. verbal, written, client meetings, claims file conferences, etc.).
- Identify, understand and meet client, claims and internal NTD communication expectations, as well as those commonly expected within the jurisdictions and communities in which he/she practices.
- Effectively utilizes technology and collaboratively working with support staff to ensure efficient case management and productivity.
- Demonstrates the requisite trial advocacy skills independently as lead counsel, or as part of a team, demonstrates productivity, proactive case management, work ethic and work product quality to properly and effectively handle all matters in accordance with Nationwide Trial Division (NTD) standard methodology guidelines, as well as claims and client expectations.
- Provides factually, legally and analytically sound opinions consistently on case valuations that are promptly updated and timely communicated to the client and claims.
- Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
- Has moderate litigation experience in property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation.
- Engages in moderately complex legal practices and procedures.
- Effective and professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly collaborative, capable to work with staff and other attorneys on-site and remotely.
- Possesses strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to process information efficiently and effectively.
- Excellent analytical and legal skills.
- Resourceful, creative problem solver.
- Computer savvy with a working knowledge of basic software and use of same.
- Capable of adapting to changes in the law and changes to technology in the law and court systems (e.g. electronic filings, etc.) Strong time management and organization skills.
- Decision making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations.
- Strong legal research techniques.
- Stays in sync with the private practice of law policy and the ethical rules of the state where the position is located.
- Must also acknowledge and follow all corporate and NTD policies and procedures.
- Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and Human Resources Business Partner.
- Typically, more than three years of relevant civil litigation experience in property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: New York, NY
Application Deadline: N/A