Website Dogs Trust
To assist the centre’s behaviour team with the design, implementation and review of Behavioural Modification Programmes (BMPs), for dogs in Dogs Trust care. The post holder will train and support colleague (staff and volunteers) and adopters on the implementation of Behaviour Modification Programmes.
- To assess the behaviour of dogs, before they enter the centre and during their stay, to identify potential behaviour needs, as per Dogs Trust Standard Operating Procedures. Design and implement BMPs to enhance each dogs chances of rehoming, in support of the centre’s priorities based on individual dog welfare and requirements.
- To assist with the training and support of staff at the rehoming centre, developing practical training skills. Also working closely with staff to oversee the practical implementation of Behaviour Management Plans
- Provide feedback to the management/ behaviour team to let them know about any dogs of concern
- Provide support and guidance for volunteers to improve this capability of training with specific dogs and customer service to potential adopters.
- Provide a high standard of customer service to members of the public and adopters when meeting them in person or dealing with them over the phone. To provide pre-and post adoption support to new adopters.
- A positive and proactive attitude and willingness to work with members of the public, staff and volunteers.
- Hard working, enthusiastic and a team player.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (verbal and written).
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Reliable and flexible
- Able to work on own initiative and have good judgement to escalate issues or seek guidance as appropriate.
- Passionate about enhancing the welfare of dogs in rehoming centres
- Experience of working in a kennel/rehoming/welfare environment
- An excellent knowledge of dogs and understanding of dog behaviour and their welfare requirements, including understanding the principles underlying learning
- Experience of safely handling dogs of a range of different breeds and behavioural characteristics, including those who maybe fearful or aggressive
- Experience in reading canine body language, facial expressions and vocalisations, and be understand how these relate to the dog’s emotional state
- Experience of implementing positive reinforcement training
- Understand the key indicators of compromised welfare in dogs and be able to recognise these in a kennel environment
- A good understanding of the importance of great customer service, ideally with experience of providing excellent customer care
- Administrative skills, including use of MS Office and computerised systems
- Commitments to the aims and objectives of Dogs Trust
- Ability to travel, including staying away from home on occasion, for training, meetings and conferences.
Company: Dogs Trust
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A